Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Schools kill creativity


When I was in a class in 3th year of college I guess we had to make this assignment about a place we had visit or a place we like, and we all came with maps of the place or pictures and the teacher was really mad because he said the task was not that. We said that the problem was not us, but our education back to school, from kindergarten to high school. It’s a typical task to do in kindergarten when your are asked to draw a tree, and everyone draws the big tree with green leaves but that is exactly the problem, they teach the kids to translate what they see, but what happens with their perception of the tree, the assignment should be: draw what do you think a tree should be, or how do you feel when the leaves fall because of the wind, etc.
I think he was right, our education is too structured and squared, they don’t teach you to think or to look or to feel, they asked you to translate what it is out there. I mean, the out there is already there any way, and we can all see it, the point is we all see it and feel it differently.
In my own experience I have friends that come from alternative education, like art schools, where you don’t have math or biology, but you have dancing, painting, ceramics, agriculture, etc. And honestly I believe they were more prepared for college than I was. I met these girls here in FAU, and I don’t know if it was coincidence or it was there different education but during our first year here, they both had the best grades in almost all classes including math and physics.
I think the school have a wrong focus on how the education should be taken and transmitted to the kids.

3 comments:

  1. I would like to be in a school like that(alternative). It's true that here the education it's veeeeery structured, and that's a reason of why some people are stressed when they are adult

    ReplyDelete
  2. Change our school system it's a hard task, but, like the alternative schools, there's a way to do it. Maybe in the future we can take our child to a complete school, where the watch you child interests and improve them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a different education went I was little I have other skills, but still now mathematics and the others things. I think I don´t loose with my school

    ReplyDelete